This knot is used to create a really secure loop in the end of a rope that will tighten when weight is put on the rope. It is often used to secure a person being rescued or to lift a load.
How to tie – some people remember the instructions with the phrase “the rabbit comes out of its hole, round the tree and down the hole again”!
- Lay the rope across your left hand with the working end hanging down. Form a small loop in the line in your hand.
- Bring the working end up to pass through this loop from the underside (“the rabbit comes out of the hole”).
- Wrap the line around the standing line and back down through the loop (“around the tree and back down the hole”).
- Tighten the knot by pulling on the working end while holding standing line.
- Test it to make sure it is really secure before attempting to lift anyone or anything.