Our Dinosaurs Roar! tactile and audio series of books is packed full of tactile pictures of dinosaurs, dino facts, stats and stories, dino sounds and themed music. Borrow the dinosaur titles from our postal library now – the’re perfect for relaxing and best enjoyed with these homemade dinosaur cookie treats!
While you wait for your dinosaur package to arrive make these delicious cookies using Lakeland 3D dinosaur cookie cutters or a dinosaur shaped cookie cutter.
For the cookies:
175g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
6-8 drops Lakeland Natural Custard Flavour
1 tsp baking powder
275g plain flour, plus extra to dust
55g custard powder
For the icing
250g icing sugar, sifted
3 tbsp water
Gel food colouring of your choice
Sprinkles, sweets of your choice
1. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until it is pale and creamy. Add the egg and custard flavouring then gradually stir in the remaining cookie ingredients until you have a smooth, stiff dough. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for about 1 hour or until it feels firm to the touch.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
3. Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a floured surface. Knead gently to loosen the dough slightly then cut in half. Re-wrap one half in clingfilm and return it to the fridge whilst you roll out the other half – this makes the dough easier to handle and prevents it becoming too warm.
4. Roll the dough on the floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm. Match the dinosaurs with their colour-coded legs and stamp out the shapes. Keep the correct legs with each dinosaur, laying them together on baking sheets.
5. Repeat the process with the remaining dough. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until they start to brown at the edges. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then place on a cooling rack until cold. Remember to keep the correct legs with each dinosaur.
6. To make the icing, put the icing sugar into a bowl and add the water a little at a time, beating well until it’s glossy and smooth and coats the back of your spoon. Add the colouring a little at a time using the end of a skewer until it reaches your desired shade. Spoon 1/3 of the icing into a piping bag with plain nozzle and outline each dinosaur body with a thin stripe of icing – avoid icing the legs as the cookie will not slot together. Allow this to dry for about 10 minutes then pour a few spoons of icing into the centre and let it run out to fill your outline. Burst any bubbles that form with a cocktail stick. Decorate with sweets and sprinkles then leave to dry completely. Put a little piped icing on the gaps in the legs and slot gently on to the body. Leave upright to set.
Recipe from the Lakeland website
Borrow Dinosaurs ROAR! from the online library